My eight year old daughter innocently reminded me that even though people speak in different languages, we all laugh the same. Laughter translates across languages, emotions and even throughout history. Our MAMA today is infamous for her laughter in the Bible. Sarah didn’t just laugh…she laughed and lied to God. I think we all would laugh if we were told pregnancy was on the horizon as we peeked through the window in the senior citizen center. Maybe living in the desert and baking bread all day kept Sarah’s stomach muscles tight and ready for this final marathon. God’s will prevails and we are all here today because of this miracle birth. Laughter is the best medicine and apparently works even better than mandrakes.
- Sarah was married to Abraham. Both of them had their name changed. Abram, meaning “high father,” became Abraham, meaning “father of a multitude.” God also changed Sarai’s name, meaning “my princess,” to Sarah, meaning “mother of nations.”
- Morsel means a bite, mouthful, or small portion of food. I guess Sarah was baking mini-loaves.
- In cooking, proofing (also called proving) is a step in the preparation of yeast bread and other baked goods where the dough is allowed to rest and rise a final time before baking. During this rest period, yeast ferments the dough and produces gases, thereby leavening the dough.
- Sarah was 90 years old when she had Isaac.
- Biblical ‘Yo MAMA’ jokes: Yo MAMA so old, she was a waitress at the last supper. Yo MAMA so nasty, she went swimming and made the Dead Sea.
- For all those, like Kate, who didn’t quite understand this joke, you can read it out loud and think hard. — Yo MAMA so bad at directions, when she saw the “Disneyland Left” sign, she went home. —
- I searched the google and could find no connection between Julia Roberts and any apple juice commercials. Maybe I dreamed it, but it was worth a laugh! – Rebecca
- Chin straps and head-scarves…you can choose for yourself what keeps your hat on your head.
- Genesis 12 – story of Abram
- Genesis 15:1-5
- Genesis 18:1-15
- Proverbs 31:25
- Ecclesiastes 3:4
- Proverbs 14:13
What is your ONE THiNG?